Signal Ocean, the shipping analytics start-up, affiliated with Signal Maritime, is interested in self-driven, inquisitive, fast-learning individuals with a passion for technology and strong analytical skills to join its Strategy function in Athens for an internship of 4-6 months.
Even though we have presently covered our immediate hiring needs for this position, we are interested in meeting with and considering exceptional individuals for future job openings.
As part of this role you can expect to work integrated in a Data Science team that works with data and devises advanced analytics solutions in the domain of maritime transportation. The team uses Agile methodologies (SCRUM) and works hand-in-hand with an IT team to jointly deliver a scalable, high-availability data-centric solution, feed it with data and produce high-value-adding, decision support analytics.
Indicative tasks may include:
- Internet research on a variety of shipping-related (e.g. data, services, etc.) or computer/data science matters
- Data curation: data scouting and discovery, scraping, cleansing, improvement, transformation and loading
- Participation and assistance in data quality operations
- Data analysis and visualization
- Simple/contained coding and/or Data Science assignments (not guaranteed)
- Participation and assistance in scientific research activities (not guaranteed)
Strict adherence to Confidentiality, Intellectual Property and Non-Compete provisions is expected.
The interview process may include a short quiz to help us better appreciate your knowledge and the way you think.
If you want to be considered for future openings, we would love to hear from you.
You should have:
- A background in either Engineering/Informatics or Shipping
- Excellent generic IT literacy and passion for technology, including:
- Web search
- Practiced IT skills in at least one of the following technology tasks:
- Writing MS SQL queries
- Working with and manipulating data in MS SQL Server, Ms Excel, or other similar technology
- Developing in C#.NET / Python / R / Scala
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Talent and effectiveness in discovering and using references and resources on the Internet
- Passion for data quality and high attention to detail
- Good organization skills, attention to detail and willingness to work in and help the team
- Capacity for professionalism and willingness to integrate into a corporate culture
Practiced experience in the following may also be positively evaluated:
- Data Science concepts (e.g. remote learning courses completed)
- Geospatial data processing
Through this paid internship, you will gain valuable experience in a challenging, high-pace environment, collaborating and developing yourself amongst a young, competent and highly-driven team, engaged in an innovative and ambitious business plan. Through your tasks you will be introduced to basic terms and gain understanding in concepts of the shipping domain.