Signal Ocean, the shipping analytics start-up, affiliated with Signal Maritime, is looking for a formidable Database Administrator-Developer to help us scale and ensuring 24x7 performance and delight for our customers.
You will work as a Database Administrator-Developer with responsibility for design, implementation, management and support of our production and development databases. The emphasis of your role will be to ensure our production databases are secure, have minimal downtime and are tuned for optimal performance and response time. You will work with our software engineers and data scientists to support product/application development and data analytics.
Although the primary focus will be placed on Microsoft SQL Server 2016 in both virtualized and “as a service” cloud configurations, you will also get a chance to work with other exciting data-related technologies, such as MongoDB, Redis, InfluxDB, MS SSIS, GraphQL, and more.
Last but not least, you will get exposed to, and also required to gain deep understanding of, the highly entrepreneurial business domain of shipping, as well as the methods and remaining stack of an ambitious, AI-powered, global B2B SaaS technology product.
Strict adherence to Confidentiality, Intellectual Property and Non-Compete provisions is expected.
The interview process will include a short quiz to help us better appreciate your knowledge and the way you think.
Minimum Skills and Experience:
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science, IT Engineering or a related field
- 6 years of SQL server development, including experience with design, implementation, backup and recovery, monitoring, and performance tuning
- Demonstrated experience with 24x7 support and troubleshooting production related database issues
- Knowledge of managing databases in virtual and cloud environments (MS Azure, VMware) would be considered as a plus
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing high-availability database features, utilizing various replication and disaster recovery methodologies
- Solid understanding of implementing database schema changes in live production environment requiring minimal downtime and zero performance impact
- Proven experience with establishing and implementing database security and backup retention policies
- Experience with scaling up and out (e.g. sharding) databases to meet the needs of increased storage and computing capacity
- Hands-on experience with ETL through the use of tools like SSIS and/or scripting experience
- Experience managing non-relational database servers such as MongoDB or other No-SQL platforms would be considered as a plus
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- Mid-level competitive salary and up to 15% performance bonus/incentive
- Coverage under the company’s collective health insurance plan